This is a great recipe if you are expecting guests, or you want to welcome someone to the neighborhood. Next time someone moves in, take this over to them and you will be sure to make instant friends. I would suggest making homemade bread to make this a sure hit.
Tomato Bruschetta W/ Fresh Basil
- 2 large tomatoes -- diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil -- lightly packed
- 1 garlic clove -- minced
- 1 half loaf French or italian bread or 1 French baguette
- 1 large garlic clove -- halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan -- (optional)
- In bowl, combine tomatoes, fresh basil, minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste; let stand for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 4 hours
- Slice bread in ¾" - thick slices
- Place on baking sheet and broil until lightly browned on each side
- You can do the next part one of two ways. You can Rub the garlic glove over one side of the bread and brush with olive oil (or) you can mince the remaining garlic in the olive oil and brush on the bread.
- Spoon tomato mixture over top.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan (if desired).