This dish tenderizes, moistens, and extracts flavor from a long slow marinate in a garlic yogurt, so you wind up with a skinless grilled chicken that is as yummy as it is good for you.
We suggest you serve this with an Arab flat-bread or soft pita and fresh yogurt.
- 2 large clov garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
- 4 tablespoons juice and pulp of 1 large lemon
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 large whol chicken breasts -- about 2 pounds
- Mix garlic and salt into a paste.
- Stir in the yogurt, lemon and pepper.
- Skin the chicken breasts. Remove all extra fat and split into halves.
- Make the halves lay flat by bending backwards to separate the bones.
- Coat each half with the yogurt mixture.
- Cover the bowl tightly and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least 12 hours, no longer then 36 hours.
- Turn the pieces over about half-way through marinating.
- When you are ready to cook, remove the breasts from the marinade and wipe off most of the yogurt. Leave a thin film on each piece.
- Grill about 6 inches above the heat for about 6 to 8 minutes a side. ( or until completely cooked. )
- Serve while still hot.