Recipe type: Pasta
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 - 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 - 6 oz cans tomato paste
- 2 - 6.5 oz. cans canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In large stock pot, cook sausage, beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water.
- Season with sugar, basil, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- Simmer, covered, for about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. (If you prefer you can use the no cook noodles).
- In a bowl combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Spread 1½ cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce.
- Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Top with a third of mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon 1½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Lasagna was last modified: June 4th, 2014 by