Recipe type: Entree
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp salt
- 8 Cups water
- 1 (10 oz) pkg frozen baby carrots, partially thawed
- 1 (10 oz) pkg frozen peas, partially thawed
- 1 (6 oz) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 Cup light cream
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp celery salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ½ Cup all purpose flour
- 1 pkg (2 included) refrigerated pie crust
- 4 foil pans (5X1 in)
- Place the water in a large pot over high heat and add chicken,celery, onion, parsley, bay leaf and salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 2 hours. Allow chicken to cool in the broth and remove when completely cooled. Remove chicken from bones. Strain broth and keep 5 Cups. Put chicken, carrots, peas and mushrooms together in a large mixing bowl and mix together. Place 4 Cups of reserved liquid in sauce pan and add cream, nutmeg, celery salt and pepper and bring to a boil. In small mixing bowl combine remain Cup of reserved broth and flour and whisk until mixture is smooth. Pour mixture in to boiling sauce pan and reduce heat to low and summer for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour over chicken mixture and cool completely.
- Flour a flat surface and roll out pie crust. Divide in to two even parts. Place ½ of the crust into the bottom a foil pan. Fill with chicken mixture. Cover with the remaining crust. Pinch to seal all the way around.
- Wrap in freezer paper.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To bake preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Unwrap each bowl and place on a cookie sheet.
- Cut a slit in the top of each to vent the steam.
- Bake 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Chicken Bowls was last modified: April 8th, 2014 by