Viva Verde Roasted Pepper Rice Pot
Recipe type: Side
- 4 large bell peppers
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups (uncooked) long grain white rice or brown rice
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Lightly coat whole bell peppers with olive oil then place on a baking sheet.
- Roast until softened and slightly charred, then remove from oven.
- Place in a heat resistant bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let sit to sweat off the skins.
- Remove and discard the skins, stems, seeds, and membranes.
- Place the cleaned peppers in a blender or food processor with 2 cups of the chicken stock and pulse until blended well.
- Add in the parsley, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper a little at a time, pulsing in between until the mixture is a smooth puree consistency.
- Set aside.
- In a big pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and rice, stirring to coat the rice well with the oil; continue stirring the rice in the oil for about 2 minutes until warmed through, then add the pureed green pepper mixture to the rice in the pot, turn heat down to low and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Get out a small saucepan and heat the remaining 2 cups of chicken stock until just boiling, then pour the hot chicken stock into the big pot with rice and stir gently to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately turn heat to very low, cover the pot and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve hot.
Viva Verde Roasted Pepper Rice Pot was last modified: April 8th, 2014 by