I would suggest always using fresh Shrimp. If you live near the coast, try one of those little seafood stands near where the fishing boats come in. They usually have the fresh good stuff.
Freezer Shrimp Stew
Recipe type: Entree
- ½ Cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1¾ Cup burgundy
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 2 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¾ Cup water
- 1½ lb halibut steaks, cut into 1 in pieces
- ½ raw shrimp, shelled and de-veined
- 2 (6 oz) packages frozen crabmeat, thawed
- Aluminum foil
- Place oil in a large soup pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot add the garlic, both types of onion and green pepper.
- Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the tomato paste to the cooked vegetables.
- Slowly add the burgundy being sure to stir well
- Mix in the parsley, oregano, basil salt and pepper.
- Once all is mixed together well pour in the water.
- Bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer uncovered 1- minutes.
- Add halibut, shrimp and crabmeat.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Line a large bowl with foil being sure the foil extends at least 6 in over the side of the bowl.
- Pour the cooled stew into the bowl.
- Fold the aluminum foil over the top of the stew being sure to secure tightly.
- Freeze until firm
- Remove from the bowl.
- Wrap again tightly with foil.
- Freeze for up to 6 months.
- To cook, remove foil.
- Place in a large soup pan.
- Add a small amount about 1-2 Cup water.
- Cover and cook on low until heated through.
Freezer Shrimp Stew was last modified: April 8th, 2014 by