Recipe type: Main
- 1 cup yellow split mung beans
- ⅔ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ⅓ teaspoon turmeric
- 3 medium potatoes -- peeled and quartered
- ⅓ small head cauliflower -- cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 12 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 green chiles -- seeded and minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Wash mung beans and place in stock pot.
- Add onions, ginger, garlic, turmeric and 3 cups water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes, cauliflower, salt and 2 more cups water.
- Continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Warm ghee over high heat, when very hot, add cumin seeds and fry until they turn dark brown
- Add chiles and red pepper and stir occasionally.
- Combined all remaining ingredients (except rice) and mix well.
- Serve over ½ cup rice.
Gobhi Mung was last modified: April 15th, 2014 by