Summer Squash Medley
Recipe type: Main
- 8 small young summer squash (zucchini, yellow, patty, etc)
- 1 pound seasoned pork sausage
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ large onion
- ½ large green pepper
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ cups bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Wash & Slice squash.
- Grease a 13 x 9 baking pan.
- In a large skillet, fry sausage until mostly cooked.
- Drain sausage.
- Add garlic, onion, green pepper, tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper and cover simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Into the prepared baking dish, spread evenly ½ cup bread crumbs.
- Layer ⅓ Tomato Mixture, ½ Mixed Squash, Bread Crumbs, Tomato Mixture, Remaining Squash, Remaining Tomato Mixture and Remaining Bread Crumbs.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until squash is tender and pork done
- Toward the last 15 minutes of cooking, sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake until cheese has melted and slightly browned.
- Remove from oven, and serve immediately.
Summer Squash Medley was last modified: April 10th, 2014 by