Recipe type: Main
- 4 pounds boned lamb
- 2 pounds onions
- 8 large garlic cloves - minced
- ½ cup coriander leaves -- chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root -- chopped
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon kalonji -- (nigella) seeds
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 10 cardamom pods -- bruised
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3 teaspoons salt and pepper -- to taste
- Trim off all excess fat and cut in to large cubes.
- Slice onions in to thin slices, only cut up about 1½ pounds.
- In food processor blend together remaining onions, garlic, coriander, ginger, yogurt, chili powder, paprika, ground coriander and kaloni seeds and process until it is a smooth paste.
- In large fry pan, heat ghee and oil and fry sliced onions until browned.
- Remove onions from pan.
- Put lamb in to pan, in small amounts batches, and stir-fry over high heat until browned.
- Over medium heat a small amount of oil to pan if necessary and fry blended mixture, stirring, until you can smell all the spices popping. This will take approximately 20 minutes, but sometimes longer.
- Return meat to pan, add cardamom pods and salt and pepper, stir until well mixed
- Cover and cook over low heat until meat is almost tender, stirring occasionally
- You can add a small amount of water if the dish becomes dry to help cooking.
- When meat is tender and liquid almost absorbed, add garam masala and reserved fried onion slices
- Cover pan and simmer gently for a few minutes more
Lamb Curry was last modified: May 9th, 2014 by