It is great to make the dough in advance, so you have it when you want a quick biscuit to go with dinner.
Clover Leaf Biscuits
Recipe type: Breads
- 1¾ C warm water, should be 105 to 115 degrees (check with thermometer)
- 2 pkg active dry yeast
- ½ C sugar
- 1 T salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ C soft butter or margarine
- 6 C sifted all purpose flour
- 1 T butter or margarine, melted
- Freezer paper
- Rinse a large bowl with hot water. We make the bowl warm to make it easier for the yeast to rise.
- Add the water, yeast, sugar and salt and still completely to dissolve.
- Add the egg, soft butter and 3 C of flour.
- Beat together with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. You can stir this by hand also, if electric mixer is not available.
- Slowly add 1 more C of flour and continue to beat another 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 C of flour to the mixture.
- Use your hands to work in the flour.
- Continue until all the flour is mixed in well and the mixture becomes smooth and elastic.
- Brush the top of the dough with the melted butter.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel.
- Place the bowl in a warm place and allow the dough to rise 2 hours.
- The dough should double in size.
- Punch down the dough.
- Dough may be stored in the refrigerator 1-3 days before use.
- Be sure dough stays covered and punch the dough once a day until ready to use.
- When you are ready to make the rolls, remove ⅓ of the dough from the refrigerator.
- On a lightly floured surface divide the dough in half.
- With your palms roll each half of the dough into a 16 inch rope.
- Cut each rope into 18 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a smooth ball.
- Place 3 balls in each of a muffin cup that has been sprayed lightly with a non-stick cooking spray.
- When all the muffin cups are full, cover with a towel and place in a warm place.
- Let rise again for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Bake rolls 20 minutes.
- Remove and cool completely.
- Wrap in the freezer paper and freeze for up to 12 months.
- When ready to use preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Unwrap rolls and place on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown.