Ancho Chili Chicken Soup
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 medium ancho chilies, chopped
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 cup diced winter squash
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- Put ancho chilies in a skillet over 30 tmedium-high heat and saute, stirring, until fragrant and lightly toasted - (30 to 60 seconds). Remove from heat and pour the hot water into the skillet and set aside to soak.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, put the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, lightly cover pot and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Get out a blender and pour the ancho chilies and water from skillet in the blender and puree until smooth.
- When soup is done simmering, pour the ancho chili puree into the soup, stir, taste and season as needed. Let simmer for just a few minutes more, then serve hot.
- May serve with a dollop of guacamole or sour cream on top.
Ancho Chili Chicken Soup was last modified: June 3rd, 2014 by