Yuca Empanada Dough
Recipe type: Bread
- 1 lb raw yuca, peeled
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup cold water
- Grate the peeled yuca into a bowl lined with a clean flour-sack or similar towel. Lift the towel from the bowl and squeeze the yuca until all the moisture is removed.
- Get out a saucepan and pour in the water and salt. Put over medium heat and bring it to a boil, then add in the yuca, turn heat to very low, and cook, stirring often, until the yuca turns slightly transparent and a bit darker in color. Remove the pot from heat and continue stirring until cooled somewhat and dough sets up a bit.
- Dump the contents out onto a lightly oiled work surface and allow the mixture to reach room temperature.
- When cooled, lightly oil your hands, then begin kneading the yuca 'dough' until it feels stretchy or elastic and it keeps its shape and is completely cooled.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal balls. Place each ball onto a work surface lightly brushed with oil and roll out into thin circles. You can do this by hand or with a pastry roller.
- Fill as you would any empanada or pasty and deep fry or bake as desired.
- Makes 12 small empanada.
Yuca Empanada Dough was last modified: May 29th, 2014 by