Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 sponge cake -- 10 to 12"
- 3 ounces coffee -- brewed, strong
- 3 ounces instant espresso powder
- 3 ounces brandy or rum
- 1½ pounds cream cheese or mascarpone -- room temp
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cut sponge cake across middle forming two layers, each about 1½ inches high
- Blend coffee and brandy.
- Sprinkle enough of mixture over bottom half of cake to flavor it strongly
- Don't moisten cake too much or it may collapse on serving.
- Beat room-temperature cheese and 1 cup sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and cheese is light and spreadable.
- Test sweetness during beating, adding more sugar if needed.
- Spread cut surface of bottom layer with half of the cheese mixture.
- Replace second layer and top this with remaining cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle top liberally with sifted cocoa.
- Refrigerate cake for at least 2 hours before cutting and serving.
Tiramisu was last modified: April 8th, 2014 by