The Best Black Bean Soup
Recipe type: Soups
- 1 pound black beans - rinsed, and soaked for 12 hours or longer in water
- 6 cups beef broth
- 8 cups water
- 1 can tomatoes with their juice -- chopped (28 to 32 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- **JALAPENO CREAM SAUCE**
- ⅔ cup plain yogurt
- 1 fresh jalapeno - minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- Drain the beans and put them in a large soup pot.
- Add the broth and water.
- Bring beans to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 1 hour.
- Stir in the tomatoes, juice and cumin, and continue simmering for 2 hours or until beans are soft. (this can take as little as one hour, so check every ½ hour)
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Rinse out the pot
- Then puree in blender or food processor until the mixture is smooth. (this will take a few batches to do it all)
- Return pureed mixture to pot.
- Season the soup with the salt and pepper and simmer.
- Make jalapeno cream using a whisk.
- Serve Soup with drops of jalapeno cream sauce on top of each bowl.
- Garnish with Parsley or Green Onions.
Black Bean Soup was last modified: April 10th, 2014 by